We have an opening for a Junior Drafter where you will be responsible to produce overhead and underground electric utility drawings and providing design support at our Burnaby location.
- Producing, modifying, and maintaining BC Hydro drawings.
- Reviewing third-party drawings such as civil, architectural, landscape, and onsite electrical for conflicts and information as required by the project.
- Interpreting GIS information.
- Importing survey and other forms of data into drawings as required.
- Site Survey for Record Drawing creation using SPECTRA survey technology.
- Ensuring data integrity in design, construction, and record drawings.
- Understanding and applying civil standards while preparing designs and other work.
- Autonomously manage workload to control multiple tasks with a very high degree of accuracy, while meeting project deadlines.
- Flexibility to adapt to civil and drafting standards.
- Additional project support and stretch tasks as required by the design team.
- Desire to learn and take on new challenges. Curiosity for BC Hydro infrastructure and how the design process works.
- Self-starter, goal oriented. Like to solve problems and enjoys tasks that require critical thinking.
- Working with senior members to maintain drafting tools, processes, and templates.
- Other duties as required.
- CAD/Drafting certificate or diploma from a recognized college or university.
- Efficient in using Autodesk Map3D, Civil3D, Raster Design, Microsoft Office, and Bluebeam.
- Strong understanding of Civil construction.
- Proficient English language skills, verbal and written.
- Strong collaborative / communications skills, and a willingness to liaise with other disciplines (Engineering, Construction, and Survey).
- Experience working in the electric utility or related engineering environment would be an asset.
- Familiar with BC Hydro design and construction standards would be an asset.
- A passion for your work and self-motivated.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities.
- Have shown leadership skills by participating in extra-curricular events, and volunteer work.
- Class 5 driver’s license.
A few qualifications that would help you succeed:
- Experience working in the electric utility or related engineering environment, ideally with experience in design and cost estimating of electrical distribution projects
- Familiar with BC design and construction standards
- Experience with AutoCAD, Microstation, SPIDAcalc, PLS-CADD, AGI32 and MS Office and distribution design software
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities
- Have shown leadership skills by participating in extra-curricular events, and volunteer work
Primary offers a highly competitive compensation package including, competitive salaries, bonuses, Health & Dental benefits, Health Care Spending Account, flexible work schedules, paid vacation, Company Matching RRSP, flex days, and several career and professional development opportunities.
This position may require the successful candidate to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. It may also require the successful candidate to undergo regular COVID-19 testing