Buildings Electrical Engineer
Reporting to the Buildings Electrical Team Lead, the Electrical Engineer will be responsible for providing overhead and underground electrical infrastructure drafting at our Burnaby branch.
- Report to Buildings Electrical Team Lead to support ongoing electrical engineering projects including residential, commercial, and light industrial projects.
- Lead a project team in development of design documentation, plans and reports for relevant project design elements.
- Provide mentorship to junior employees to ensure they have the knowledge required to perform their work and grow their careers.
- Coordinate with the client on project particulars, including scope, schedule and cost.
- Liaison with BC Hydro on project intake, design and construction on behalf of the project team.
- Develop design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats independently.
- Perform detail design for the distribution system which includes overhead and underground systems.
- Coordinate with project architect and other consultants as required.
- Attend and lead project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants.
- Implement sustainable design principles.
- Perform and review calculations to analyze and design electrical system components using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Evaluate, select, specify, and engineer, all electrical engineered systems or products for a project.
- Represent the electrical team in client meetings, as the lead engineer and project manager, with a manner that meets or exceeds Primary’s professional standards.
- Confidently prepare written reports and / or deliver presentations to Clients.
- Lead in constructability reviews.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assist in the development of new standards and specifications for the Buildings Electrical team.
- Demonstrate ability to learn quick and accept feedback in a positive manner from supervisor.
- Perform site visits as required.
- Other duties as required.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering from accredited university
- Strong understanding of electrical design including (but not limited to) power distribution, lighting design, controls, fire alarm, life safety, communications, security and access control, Canadian Electrical and BC Building codes.
- Minimum 6 years of buildings electrical engineering experience working on residential, commercial and industrial projects.
- Expert knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code, BC Building Code and municipal building bylaws in British Columbia.
- Experience or knowledge in Buildings design for residential and commercial projects.
- Relevant working experience in an electrical engineering environment is an asset.
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD and Bluebeam.
- Computer savvy with skills in learning new software.
- Proficient in working within a Microsoft Windows network environment and in the use of Microsoft Teams, OneDrive, Sharepoint, Outlook, Word, Excel and other Office 365 programs.
Good English communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills working in a respectful, effective, and fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills to plan, organize and implement work within a specified budget while meeting the project deadlines.
- Analytical, thorough, resourceful, detail-oriented, and strong understanding of design basis.
- Must be responsible, a self-starter, personable, and well organized.
- A valid BC drivers license and capable of distance driving within BC when required.
Primary offers a highly competitive compensation package including, competitive salaries, bonuses, Health & Dental Benefits, Health Care Spending Account, flexible work schedules, paid vacation, Company Matching RRSP, flex days, and several careers and professional development opportunities.
This position may require the successful candidate to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. It may also require the successful candidate to undergo regular COVID-19 testing