Reporting to the Manager, Saskatchewan Design, the Intermediate Electrical Distribution Designer is responsible for providing timely and efficient execution of technical designs for client projects.
- Assisting with design of underground and overhead electrical distribution infrastructure (4kV – 25kVsystem voltages); learning industry best practices as demonstrated by experienced electrical engineering staff
- Assisting with electrical and mechanical engineering calculations for underground and overhead systems
- Collect and review pertinent background information to inform design.
- Create alignment plans, survey plans, easement plans and other preliminary deliverables for review.
- Compile specifications and issue requests for third party services including survey, geotechnical review, grounding studies, brushing requests, constructability reviews, environmental assessments, and easement applications.
- Perform detailed overhead line design calculations and modelling of various structures.
- Perform detailed underground distribution design calculations and modelling.
- Draft, or oversee drafting, of required construction prints per customer requirements.
- Provide exceptional customer service in the form of prompt responses, courteous discourse, honest interaction, and proactive communication.
- Coordinate designs with customers, landowners, approving bodies, and other stakeholders.
- Compile and submit permitting and approvals packages.
- Aid the Design Lead and/or Project Manager in establishing firm timelines and budgets.
- Other work as required.
- Engineering Degree OR Technologist Diploma OR Engineering Technologist Diploma from a recognized college or technical institution (Civil or Electrical preferred)
- Should be eligible to apply for Professional Engineer (P. Eng) (APEGS) or Applied Science Technologist (A.Sc.T) (Technology Professionals Saskatchewan) designation
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to develop business relationships conducted in a professional manner
- Strong collaborative skills and willingness to liaise with other disciplines (marketing, drafting, construction, survey, and civil) to ensure projects are accurate, compliant, on-time and on-budget
- Demonstrated self-motivation and drive for improvement
- Class 5 driver’s license
A few qualifications that would help you succeed:
- Experience working in the electric utility or related engineering environment, ideally with experience in design and cost estimating of electrical distribution projects
- Familiar with Saskatchewan design and construction standards
- Experience with AutoCAD, SPIDAcalc, PLS-CADD, AGI32 and MS Office and distribution design software
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities
- Have shown leadership skills by participating in extra-curricular events, and volunteer work
Primary offers a highly competitive compensation package including, competitive salaries, bonuses, Health & Dental benefits, Health Care Spending Account, flexible work schedules, paid vacation, Company Matching RRSP, flex days, and several career and professional development opportunities.
This position may require the successful candidate to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. It may also require the successful candidate to undergo regular COVID-19 testing.