Southlands Customer Build
- Unique 990-unit BC Hydro masterplan reviewed and accepted by BC Hydro
- Removal of all overhead lines directly adjacent to the development, limiting outages
- Coordination with all franchise utilities
- Ornamental streetlight specification
- The four-year project was successfully completed in 2019 and had a total cost of over $3 million
At more than 530 acres, Southlands is North America’s largest self-sustaining community deliberately rooted in food and farming. Located in Tsawwassen, near the Canada-US border, the neighbourhood will include a 990-unit master planned residential development which will consist of single-family homes, townhomes, live-work studios, apartments, and courtyard cottages, as well as a six-acre community amenity area with a natural amphitheatre, small orchard, and garden plots.
As part of BC Hydro’s Customer Build Program, Primary was selected to carry out the design/build of the underground electrical infrastructure. On a project this size, it was critical that proper planning went into designing all electrical and communications infrastructure. Primary prepared a masterplan of the BC Hydro infrastructure, detailing the feeder and distribution routing throughout the community. Primary also prepared the streetlighting, traffic signal and telecommunications designs for the development.
The infrastructure we designed and built provides the backbone to allow for the full buildout of this extraordinary neighbourhood that will preserve farmland and farming as a way of life.
Contact us to get your project started today!