Job Title: Junior Drafter
Location: Burnaby, BC
Reports to: Manager, Lower Mainland Operations
Job Posting#: 108-2022
Application Deadline: November 1, 2022
We have an opening for a Junior Drafter where you will be responsible to produce overhead and underground electric utility drawings and providing design support at our Burnaby location.
- Producing, modifying, and maintaining BC Hydro drawings.
- Reviewing third-party drawings such as civil, architectural, landscape, and onsite electrical for conflicts and information as required by the project.
- Interpreting GIS information.
- Importing survey and other forms of data into drawings as required.
- Site Survey for Record Drawing creation using SPECTRA survey technology.
- Ensuring data integrity in design, construction, and record drawings.
- Understanding and applying civil standards while preparing designs and other work.
- Autonomously manage workload to control multiple tasks with a very high degree of accuracy, while meeting project deadlines.
- Flexibility to adapt to civil and drafting standards.
- Additional project support and stretch tasks as required by the design team.
- Desire to learn and take on new challenges. Curiosity for BC Hydro infrastructure and how the design process works.
- Self-starter, goal oriented. Like to solve problems and enjoys tasks that require critical thinking.
- Working with senior members to maintain drafting tools, processes, and templates.
- Other duties as required.
- CAD/Drafting certificate or diploma from a recognized college or university.
- Efficient in using Autodesk Map3D, Civil3D, Raster Design, Microsoft Office, and Bluebeam.
- Strong understanding of Civil construction.
- Proficient English language skills, verbal and written.
- Strong collaborative / communications skills, and a willingness to liaise with other disciplines (Engineering, Construction, and Survey).
- Experience working in the electric utility or related engineering environment would be an asset.
- Familiar with BC Hydro design and construction standards would be an asset.
- A passion for your work and self-motivated.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities.
- Have shown leadership skills by participating in extra-curricular events, and volunteer work.
- Class 5 driver’s license.
A few qualifications that would help you succeed:
- Experience working in the electric utility or related engineering environment, ideally with experience in design and cost estimating of electrical distribution projects
- Familiar with BC design and construction standards
- Experience with AutoCAD, Microstation, SPIDAcalc, PLS-CADD, AGI32 and MS Office and distribution design software
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities
- Have shown leadership skills by participating in extra-curricular events, and volunteer work
Primary offers a highly competitive compensation package including, competitive salaries, bonuses, Health & Dental benefits, Health Care Spending Account, flexible work schedules, paid vacation, Company Matching RRSP, flex days, and several career and professional development opportunities.
This position may require the successful candidate to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. It may also require the successful candidate to undergo regular COVID-19 testing
We thank all candidates for their application however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
**Please note, you must be legally able to work in Canada**
Share this job
Primary Engineering and Construction Corporation (Primary) is a growth-oriented industry leader providing professional electrical engineering and construction services and specializing in emerging marketplaces in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario and Saskatchewan.
We offer design and design/build services for all types of electric utility distribution infrastructure to a wide variety of clients including electric utility companies, developers, builders, commercial and industrial businesses, oil companies, government, and private contractors. Our devotion to excellence has attracted some of the best young professional minds to our company.
GOOD PEOPLE committed to progress
Primary is committed to growing the careers of our people. We believe everyone should have the opportunity to determine their career path and fulfill their ambitions. Our people are genuine, honest, accountable and full of entrepreneurial spirit.
We work hard, see the big picture, are always ready and willing to adapt, and always strive to be better than we were yesterday. We take pride and ownership in everything we do, and most of all, we do it as a team.
HEALTH & SAFETY
The safety and well-being of our people, our clients, and our communities is our top priority in any work we do and is never comprised. Safety is one of the core values that every member of our team understands and lives by, and we ensure this through communication, education and participation. Our safety goal has always been zero incidents, and we work together through every project to achieve that goal.
Safety is ingrained in every project and each task our employees and contractors complete, whether in the office or onsite. Primary has developed effective workplace health and safety management programs designed to reduce and eliminate the number of work-related injuries, leading to a safety track record well above industry average. We are also diligent in selecting the companies we work with, choosing only those with a safety standard as high as our own.