Electrical Distribution Engineer
Job Title: Electrical Distribution Engineer
Location: Calgary, AB
Reports to: Manager, Design
Job Posting#: 109-2022
Application Deadline: November 30, 2022
Reporting to the Manager, Design, the Electrical Distribution Engineer will be responsible for the design of underground and overhead electrical distribution infrastructure (4kV – 25kV system voltages) for our Calgary office.
- Design of underground and overhead electrical distribution infrastructure (4kV – 25kV system voltages)
- Electrical and mechanical engineering calculations for underground and overhead systems,
- Interpret and apply working knowledge of applicable codes and utility standards,
- Design coordination with customers, municipal authorities, other utilities & various project stakeholders,
- Produce project estimates, quotation letters, construction scope descriptions and material take-offs,
- Preparation and submission of project approvals and design packages,
- Project schedule management and tracking,
- Review and authentication of design drawings,
- Mentoring and training of junior staff,
- Customer meetings and site inspections in the Calgary area,
- Accountability and management of concurrent project budgets and schedules for successful delivery “on-time” and “on-budget” while maintaining a high degree of quality,
- Being part of a great team and shaping the future of the industry,
- Other duties as required.
- An Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized college, technical institution, or university,
- A valid Professional Engineer or Professional Licensee designation with APEGA,
- Minimum 4 years of experience working in the electric utility or related engineering environment, with experience in design and cost estimating of electrical distribution projects,
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to develop business relationships,
- Strong attention to detail, problem-solving and analytical skills,
- Ability to prioritize and manage competing priorities with schedule and budget constraints,
- Strong collaborative skills and willingness to liaise with other disciplines (drafting, construction, survey, and civil) to ensure projects are accurate, compliant, on-time and on-budget,
- A passion for your work and a drive for excellence,
- Commitment to safety and ethical practices,
- Class 5 driver’s license
A few qualifications that would help you succeed:
- Working knowledge of ENMAX and Fortis Alberta design and construction standards,
- Working knowledge of ENMAX Downtown Secondary Network design,
- Experience with AutoCAD, MicroStation, MS Office and Geographic Information System software,
- Experience with PLS-CADD, AGI32, and Pull Planner,
- Project Management experience
Primary offers a highly competitive compensation package including, competitive salaries, bonuses, Health & Dental benefits, Health Care Spending Account, flexible work schedules, paid vacation, Company Matching RRSP, flex days, and several career and professional development opportunities.
We thank all candidates for their application however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
**Please note, you must be legally able to work in Canada**
Share this job
Primary Engineering and Construction Corporation (Primary) is a growth-oriented industry leader providing professional electrical engineering and construction services and specializing in emerging marketplaces in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario and Saskatchewan.
We offer design and design/build services for all types of electric utility distribution infrastructure to a wide variety of clients including electric utility companies, developers, builders, commercial and industrial businesses, oil companies, government, and private contractors. Our devotion to excellence has attracted some of the best young professional minds to our company.
GOOD PEOPLE committed to progress
Primary is committed to growing the careers of our people. We believe everyone should have the opportunity to determine their career path and fulfill their ambitions. Our people are genuine, honest, accountable and full of entrepreneurial spirit.
We work hard, see the big picture, are always ready and willing to adapt, and always strive to be better than we were yesterday. We take pride and ownership in everything we do, and most of all, we do it as a team.
HEALTH & SAFETY
The safety and well-being of our people, our clients, and our communities is our top priority in any work we do and is never comprised. Safety is one of the core values that every member of our team understands and lives by, and we ensure this through communication, education and participation. Our safety goal has always been zero incidents, and we work together through every project to achieve that goal.
Safety is ingrained in every project and each task our employees and contractors complete, whether in the office or onsite. Primary has developed effective workplace health and safety management programs designed to reduce and eliminate the number of work-related injuries, leading to a safety track record well above industry average. We are also diligent in selecting the companies we work with, choosing only those with a safety standard as high as our own.