Job Title: Distribution Designer
Location: Burnaby, BC
Reports to: Manager, Lower Mainland Operations
Job Posting#: 91-2022
Application Deadline: Sept 2, 2022
Reporting to the Manager, Lower Mainland Operations, the Distribution Designer will be responsible for providing civil, electrical, and structural design to support underground and overhead electrical distribution infrastructure at our Burnaby location.
- Civil, electrical, and structural design to support underground and overhead electrical distribution infrastructure (4kV – 25kV system voltages)
- Material take-offs and project estimating
- Power pole structural analysis, cable pulling, voltage drop, and transformer loading calculations
- Reviewing 3rd party drawings such as civil, architectural, landscape, and on-site electrical to coordinate and eliminate design conflicts
- Site visits to inspect civil and electrical power infrastructure
- Project schedule management and tracking
- Research and application of engineering standards and codes
- Design coordination with customers, municipal authorities, other utilities, and various project stakeholders
- Limited AutoCAD drafting
- Other duties as required by senior engineering staff, including contract administration
- Engineering technologist diploma or Bachelor of Engineering / Applied Science degree from a recognized college or university (civil or electrical preferred)
- Experience with AutoCAD, Bluebeam, and Microsoft Office 365
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to develop business relationships conducted in a professional manner
- Strong collaborative skills and willingness to liaise with other roles (project managers, designers, drafters, materials and construction vendors, survey, and marketing) to ensure projects are accurate, compliant, on-time and on-budget
- Demonstrated self-motivation and drive for improvement
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities concurrently
- Class 5 driver’s license
The following would be considered assets:
- Familiarization with BC Hydro design and construction standards, DAD and Passport designs
- Familiarization with PLS-CADD and/or SpidaCalc
- Familiarization with construction and land development
- Experience working in the shallow utility industry
- Experience creating VBA programming macros
We thank all candidates for their application however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
**Please note, you must be legally able to work in Canada**
Share this job
Primary Engineering and Construction Corporation (Primary) is a growth-oriented industry leader providing professional electrical engineering and construction services and specializing in emerging marketplaces in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario and Saskatchewan.
We offer design and design/build services for all types of electric utility distribution infrastructure to a wide variety of clients including electric utility companies, developers, builders, commercial and industrial businesses, oil companies, government, and private contractors. Our devotion to excellence has attracted some of the best young professional minds to our company.
GOOD PEOPLE committed to progress
Primary is committed to growing the careers of our people. We believe everyone should have the opportunity to determine their career path and fulfill their ambitions. Our people are genuine, honest, accountable and full of entrepreneurial spirit.
We work hard, see the big picture, are always ready and willing to adapt, and always strive to be better than we were yesterday. We take pride and ownership in everything we do, and most of all, we do it as a team.
HEALTH & SAFETY
The safety and well-being of our people, our clients, and our communities is our top priority in any work we do and is never comprised. Safety is one of the core values that every member of our team understands and lives by, and we ensure this through communication, education and participation. Our safety goal has always been zero incidents, and we work together through every project to achieve that goal.
Safety is ingrained in every project and each task our employees and contractors complete, whether in the office or onsite. Primary has developed effective workplace health and safety management programs designed to reduce and eliminate the number of work-related injuries, leading to a safety track record well above industry average. We are also diligent in selecting the companies we work with, choosing only those with a safety standard as high as our own.