Intermediate/Senior Electrical Distribution Engineer
Intermediate/Senior Electrical Distribution Designer
January 31, 2018
Primary Engineering and Construction Corporation (Primary) is a growth-oriented industry leader providing professional electrical engineering and construction services and specializing in emerging marketplaces in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
We offer design and design/build services for all types of electric utility distribution infrastructure to a wide variety of clients including electric utility companies, developers, builders, commercial and industrial businesses, oil companies, government, and private contractors. We pride ourselves on the backbone of our organization as a team of dedicated veterans with a combined 175+ years of experience in utility distribution design, maintenance, and construction. Our devotion to excellence has attracted some of the best young professional minds to our company.
We have an opening for an Intermediate/Senior Electrical Distribution Designer. You will be responsible for providing overhead and underground electric utility design at our Calgary location.
Your daily work:
- 5+ years’ experience designing underground and overhead electrical distribution infrastructure (up to and including 24.9kV system voltages)
- Interpret and apply working knowledge of applicable codes and utility standards/guidelines (CSA Electrical Code, Alberta Electrical Utility Code, client provided specifications, etc.)
- Complete and document various electrical and mechanical engineering calculations
- Design coordination with clients, municipal authorities, utilities & various project stakeholders
- Design of street lighting infrastructure and lighting analysis using AGI32 simulation software
- Liaise with construction representatives and contractors to develop buildable designs
- Produce project estimates, detailed quotation letters, construction scope descriptions and material take-offs
- Preparation and submission of project approvals and design packages
- Accountability and management of concurrent project budgets and schedules for successful delivery “on-time” and “on-budget” while maintaining a high degree of quality
- Proactively consult and develop solutions for clients to suit their business needs
- Clearly communicate with clients and project stakeholders to identify project risks and expectations
- Occasional off-site meetings, site visits and field inspections in the Calgary area
- Review as-built and prepare record drawings to ensure compliance with original design
- Analysis of land use rights for proposed power line routes and initiation of legal agreements
- Peer mentoring and training with other design team members
- Other duties as required
You must have:
- Electrical Engineering Technology Diploma or Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized college or university
- Strong attention to detail, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage competing priorities with schedule and budget constraints
- Client focused interpersonal skills with the ability to develop strong business relationships
- Proficient verbal and written English language skills
- Confident collaborative skills and willingness to liaise with other disciplines
- Experience with AutoCAD, Microstation, ArcFM or AGI32 software packages would be considered an asset
- Experience in substation, downtown “network” or transmission design would be considered an asset
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Commitment to safety and ethical practices
A few qualifications that would help you succeed:
- 5+ years’ experience in working in an electric utility or engineering consulting environment.
- Previous experience drafting to ENMAX, and Fortis Alberta design and construction standards.
- Experience with PLS-CADD and able to perform non-linear analysis of overhead lines.
Primary offers a highly competitive compensation package including, competitive salaries, bonuses, Health & Dental benefits, flexible work schedules, paid vacation, Company Matching RRSP, flex days, and a number of career and professional development opportunities
If you are ready for a new challenge and want to make a difference in the industry, please send your resume in confidence to email@example.com.
**Please Note, you must be a Canadian Citizen or have a valid work permit**
We thank all candidates for their application however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.