Electrical Distribution Designer
Electrical Distribution Designer
November 17, 2017
Primary Engineering and Construction Corporation (Primary) is a growth-oriented industry leader providing professional shallow utility electrical & construction services and specializing in emerging marketplaces in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
We offer design and design/build services for all types of shallow utility distribution infrastructure to a wide variety of clients including utility companies, developers, builders, commercial and industrial businesses, oil companies, government, and private contractors. Primary has a vibrant and diverse corporate culture where employees are the most valued assets of the company.
We have an opening for an Electrical Distribution Designer. You will be responsible for providing overhead, underground and downtown network electric utility design at our Calgary location.
- Design of underground, overhead and downtown network electrical distribution infrastructure (up to and including 24.9KV system voltages)
- Design of street lighting infrastructure and lighting analysis using AGI32 simulation software
- Interpret and apply working knowledge of applicable codes and utility standards/guidelines (CSA Electrical Code, Alberta Electrical Utility Code, client provided specifications, etc.)
- Complete and document various electrical and mechanical engineering calculations
- Design coordination with clients, municipal authorities, utilities & various project stakeholders
- Liaise with construction representatives and contractors to develop buildable designs
- Produce project estimates, detailed quotation letters, construction scope descriptions and material take-offs
- Preparation and submission of project approvals and design packages
- Accountability and management of concurrent project budgets and schedules for successful delivery “on-time” and “on-budget” while maintaining a high degree of quality
- Proactively consult and develop solutions for clients to suit their business needs
- Clearly communicate with clients and project stakeholders to identify project risks and expectations
- Occasional off-site meetings, site visits and field inspections in the Calgary area
- Review as-built and prepare record drawings to ensure compliance with original design
- Analysis of land use rights for proposed power line routes and initiation of legal agreements
- Peer mentoring and training with other design team members
- Other duties as required
Desired Qualifications & Attributes:
- Electrical Engineering Technology Diploma or Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized college or university
- Experience working in an electric utility or engineering consulting environment would be preferred
- Knowledge of ENMAX and Fortis Alberta design and construction standards
- Strong attention to detail, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage competing priorities with schedule and budget constraints
- Client focused interpersonal skills with the ability to develop strong business relationships
- Proficient verbal and written English language skills
- Confident collaborative skills and willingness to liaise with other disciplines
- Experience with AutoCAD, Microstation, PLS-CADD, ArcFM or AGI32 software packages would be considered an asset
- Experience in substation, downtown “network” or transmission design would be considered an asset
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Commitment to safety and ethical practices
Primary offers a highly competitive compensation package including, competitive salaries, bonuses, benefits, flexible work schedules, paid vacation, RRSP, flex days, and a number of career and professional development opportunities.
If you have a strong work ethic, and enjoy working in a fast paced, professional environment then this is the job for you. Please send your resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all candidates for their application however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
*Please see www.primaryeng.com for this and other positions we are recruiting.